You have to buy a new RFID reader and do not know whether to choose fixed or portable? No worries!! Below we will give you some advices that will help you to make the right choice!
Let’s now analyze in detail the two types of readers!!
Fixed RFID readers
They have greater power than portable readers, and are ideal for non-mobile applications as they require a connection to a power source. They are installed in relevant locations, for example, in access control applications, the reader is fixed next to a door and waits for employees to identify themselves via their RFID tag.
To better understand which applications the fixed reader is perfect for, let’s see what its advantages are.
Main advantages of fixed RFID readers
- Automated real-time monitoring: Since a fixed RFID reader remains always-on monitoring mode, there is no operator intervention required to read tags. This mean that their use is a great way to automate business processes.
- Wide read range: Permanently installed in a defined location, these devices are constantly reading, in order to detect any RFID tag that passes within the reader’s active zone which tipically it’s wider than portable readers.
- Flexibility on what type of antennas can be connected to the reader: Fixed RFID readers typically have multiple ports with the ability to connect multiple antennas. As long as you are using the right cables to connect, you are essentially free to choose any type of antenna within the same frequency range of your application.
- Track high volume of RFID tags: Fixed readers are commonly used in environments that tracks high volumes of RFID tags.
Fields where fixed RFID readers are commonly used
Fixed RFID readers are ideal for read points that require the bulk capture of data, for example:
- In conveyor belt of the manufacturing production line to track automatically items.
- In warehouse and distribution centers to track incoming and outgoing movement, guaranteeing real-time inventory visibility.
- As POS (point of sale) in retail. In particular, the technology has the ability to speed up the check out process by reducing human factor-based errors, and , at the same time updating, the inventory system that this item has been removed.
Portable RFID readers
Compared to the previous ones, they have a compact design, generally having an integrated antenna. In addition, they are battery powered. For this reason they are typically used for tasks which require mobility or flexibility. For example to track assets on the field. The read data is transferred via Bluetooth or Wifi to the management software.
Let’s now examine portable RFID reader advantages.
Main advantages of portable RFID readers
Easy-to-carry: Mobile RFID readers are developed to use where and when you need it, which is why they are lightweight and battery-powered.
Quick deployment: There are no major deployment requirements for portable RFID readers. The devices are ready to use. The need for power and cabling is eliminated, enabling rapid implementation with minimal investment, making these readers ideal for initial RFID deployments and pilots.
Flexibility: They can be used in a wide variety of areas throughout the business, maximizing cost-efficiencies and delivering a faster return on investment.
Easy-to-use: Many portable readers have key functionalities that make data collection and transfer really easy.
Fields where portable RFID readers are commonly used
Mobile readers, completely controlled by the user, are ideal for on-the-spot reading, specially for small tagged items, for example:
- During inspections (take a look here), searching for serial numbers, asset and equipment specifications causes auditing fatigue and possible human error. Using a portable rfid reader, it is possible to load automatically information to auditing software system.
- In a library, identifying books placed on the wrong shelves is really simple using a portable reader, or, once the software confirms that an item is still in the bookcase, the portable RFID reader can be used to check shelf by shelf the missing book.
- They are ideal for performing maintenance operations (RFID for managing a product’s life cycle).
In conclusion, you can now determine what type of reader to deploy to achieve maximum efficiency and maximum value from RFID implementation within your organization.
Take a look to our RFID readers TERTIUM Technology RFID readers
Contact us for further information about RFID technology ⇒ firstname.lastname@example.org